By Kelly Lanza
Having a holiday party this year? I don’t think I have to tell you that every big bash is made better with a photo booth, right!? Here’s a fun and festive DIY backdrop for it, inspired by all those perfectly decorated presents normally hidden under the tree! This is a great project for using up scraps of gift wrap, ribbon and trimmings and those miscellaneous box lids you can never find the match too!
Miscellaneous Boxes and Box Lids (You can use ones you already have or pick up some generic ones at the dollar store!)
Cardstock (To make faux box lids if you don’t find enough!)
Gift Wrap and Trimmings
1. If you don’t find enough pre-made box lids, you can make your own! To make a box lid, grab a piece of cardstock and cut it two inches wider and longer than you want your finished lid to be. Use a ruler to draw four lines, each an inch away from the cardstock’s edges. Following the image below, cut along the lines at the top and bottom and fold along the lines at the left and right to make tabs.
2. Fold your box and secure by taping the tabs to the flaps, forming a lid. In order to make this hangable, take a one inch wide piece of cardstock and cut it to the length of the top of your box. Tape it to the top with masking tape.
3. Wrap your box lids in various gift wrap. The back doesn’t have to look pretty, it will be hidden!
4. Hanging the lids takes a bit of patience. You can be precise and measure so they align exactly, or you can eyeball it for a mismatched look. I think either looks great! The best way to do this is to lay out your finished boxes on the floor. Going box by box, hang them on the wall in the same pattern using command hooks. I recommend doing this before you add trimmings to the boxes so you can visualize it better.
5. Now for the fun part, decorating! Here’s a few trimming ideas for you:
Make fringe tassels out of tissue paper, top with tinsel and adhere with glue dots.
Stick glue dots all over your wrapped lid. Cover in glitter and shake off excess.
Make stripes on your box with double stick tape. Cover in glitter, shake off excess. Embellish with gold baubles if desired!
Make simple bows out of leftover gift wrap.
6. Hang your now finished boxes back on the wall, set up a tripod, throw a party and snap away! You could also use this as a backdrop for a dessert display if you aren’t the photo-snapping type!